Registering for Floodline
Purpose and lawful basis for processing
Our purpose for collecting your personal data is so we can provide you with a service and register you for our flood warning service: Floodline.
The lawful basis we rely on for processing your personal data is your consent under article 6(1) of the UK GDPR.
What we need
To register for Floodline, we ask you to provide:
- Address including postcode
- Telephone contact details (land line and/or mobile)
- Email address (if you register online via the SEPA website, it will be mandatory to provide an email address. For all other methods provision of an email address is optional)
You can register through our self-service portal, or by telephone by calling Floodline.
Why we need it
We need your contact details so that we can provide you with relevant Flood Warnings and Alerts. We use your contact preferences to send these by email, text, or voicemail. We use your address to check what service is available in your area.
What we do with it
We only use your details to provide the service to you, and to create your Floodline account.
We will also use your email address (if provided) to let you know:
- You are registered to Floodline.
- You have amended your account details.
- You have deregistered from Floodline.
- If there are service changes.
- To confirm the details we hold are correct.
How long we keep it
We will retain your data while you remain registered for the service. When you de-register from Floodline, we will stop sending you flood warnings and alerts, and your Floodline account will be closed.
What are your rights?
We rely on your consent to process your contact details. This means you have the right to withdraw your consent, or to object to the processing of your personal data for this purpose at any time. If at any point you want to withdraw your consent, you can de-register from Floodline by unsubscribing through your Floodline account or call us on 0345 988 1188.
Do we use data processors?
We use data processors to deliver the Floodline service to you.
- HTK Limited, who provide us with the platform we use for our messaging service.
- Teleperformance, who handle calls to our Floodline number and register or amend account details for customers who are unable to use the self-service portal. (If you contact us through our Floodline number, please be aware that calls are recorded and monitored.)
Do we share your information?
The Environment Agency are joint controller for the Floodline telephone service. This means they will have limited access to records of phone calls to Floodline.
If it is necessary to protect someone in an emergency, we would share personal information with the relevant emergency service.