Skip to main content
  • What we don't do

What we don't do

SEPA often receives environmental event notifications for issues which are the statutory responsibility of other organisations. To help you get to the right place quickly select the issue below which provides a quick guide to a number of issues, together with how you can contact the right organisation.

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA):

  • Identifying and controlling endemic and exotic diseases and pests in animal, plants, and bees
  • Surveillance of new diseases 
  • Protecting endangered wildlife
  • Regulating the safe disposal of animal by-product

  • Including Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), Special Areas of Conservation): Nature Scot

  • Your local authority (SEPA works with harbour authorities to investigate pollution from onshore sources. SEPA also regulates many of the activities carried out within harbour areas.)

  • Your local authority (except for noise from sites, or parts of sites, that have a Part A Pollution Prevention and Control (PPC) permit from SEPA).

Responsibility for worker safety in relation to radioactive substances at premises other than at a nuclear licensed site: Health and Safety Executive

For all of the following contact Office of Nuclear Regulation (ONR):

  • Any activity involving radioactivity material carried on by the licensee at a nuclear licenced site.
  • Transport of radioactive material or waste.
  • Responsible for safety at nuclear licensed sites.

COMAH - Control of Major Accident Hazards.

See separate listings above for:

  • Aquaculture
  • Beaches and bathing water
  • Canals
  • Coastal pollution/protection
  • Drinking water
  • Flooding
  • Harbour pollution
  • Septic tanks/sewage
  • Shipping