Skip to main content

Community empowerment act

The Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015 introduced by Scottish Government is to help communities to do more for themselves and have more say in decisions that affect them. Read more about community empowerment and engagement.

Community planning

Places Community Planning Partnerships (CPPs) on a statutory footing and imposes duties on them, and statutory community planning partners (including SEPA) around the planning and delivery of local outcomes. We have a mailbox to receive information related to CPPs.

Participation requests

Participation requests are intended to provide opportunities for communities to work with SEPA and others to be involved in service delivery and improving outcomes in order to make services and people's quality of life better.

Participation requests are not intended to replace good quality existing community engagement or participation processes but complement and enhance them. SEPA has a long history of working with communities. You may find that we can agree a way forward without you having to make a participation request. You should contact your local SEPA office to discuss the outcome you'd like to see improved and how we can help

How to make a request

You may use the form below to submit a participation request to us. However, you don't have to use the form to submit your application, as long as you answer all the questions on the form in an email or letter. If you do use the form, you may also have to provide supporting documents.

Please email the completed form and supporting documents, or post it to:

Involving You 
Angus Smith Building 
6 Parklands Avenue 
North Lanarkshire

Asset transfer requests

Communities can request the transfer of assets from a public body where they feel they could use the assets better.

How to submit a request to us

The Scottish Government has issued guidance for community bodies and public bodies, and we advise you to consult the Scottish Government for full details of what the asset transfer process involves.

A request must be made in writing by post to the above address or by email, and must include the information set out in the act (see section 8 of the Scottish Government's guidance for Community Transfer Bodies). You can use the guidance provided by Scottish Government to ensure that you do not miss anything, although we will accept requests made by other means.